Monday, April 22, 2013

Coffered, Bossed and Gilt




The Dome - Part Two....

I hope you will forgive me, Dear Readers, for I am sure that Some of you will think that this is Way Over Done... while I am sure that it is Not Quite Done! I warned you that the ceiling as you last saw it was Not At All as I had Imagined it! I am certain that this style of ceiling was not what I had originally imagined for this room, but then it had to have a Dome to accommodate the bed.... and I had recently been looking at a Book I got for my birthday which featured some of the Awesomely Ornate Interiors of British Country Houses... and there were a bunch of Amazing plasterwork and gilt ceilings.... and so the Idea happened to make this ceiling in the style of those ornate plaster ceilings! Easier Said than Done!
You may recall that the room is irregularly shaped... so the "octagonal" dome is also irregular... which means that none of the sections are the same shape or size! I had to cut patterns individually and then make each layer of the cardboard for the "coffers" carefully cut to fit.....
Here below you can see one section with the three layers cut 
and the central openings cut out in graduated sizes...
along with one of the sections already painted and testing the "bosses"...
(those raised textured pieces made from jewelry findings...)

And here below you can see the dome with the first sections being tested for looks...


 And adding more sections.... 
coffers cut, stacked and painted and bosses too....
This was an amazingly slow and tedious process!

I needed to keep testing this in place....
Because I wasn't sure how it was going to look....
 
Although it really was impossible to get a feel for it 
with the sections only partly painted....

And particularly when the all white textured ....
 "trying to look like plaster"... ceiling was tested.....

I know some of you will think "Oh, she should have stopped right there....!"
With the current fashion for Minimalism and all-white interiors.....
But I could Not stop there! I had seen the pictures in that Book!
I wanted Gilt bosses!

So I added the gold paint.... no they are not truly "gilded".....
And tested it again....

And I wanted the edges to be corded in gold roping.....

I know, it is barely noticeable... 
on a ceiling it is really hard to see....
But I thought it added Just the right touch.....

So I glued the thread on one section at a time.....
And then we Have to see it in place again....

Can you see the difference????
No?????
I know it is hardly visible.... 
But I think it adds a definite Edge to the coffers....
And then the question of whether or not to add the central Bosses.... 

And ... to Gild or Not to Gild...?
But having come so far, Dear Readers, I was loath to leave it there.... 
afraid to try for the defining moment....
And so to give myself Courage, 
I looked again at the pictures of those Incredible ceilings....
And went for the Gold!

I Know, it is rather Dizzying to our Modern sensibilities.....
But I like to think of this Tree House as being from those Older Times....
Of course we Have to see how it looks in place....

You have no idea how difficult it is to photograph.....
It can't be seen unless you are on your knees looking up....

But perhaps it is worth all the effort...?

And we can Pretend we are looking up at a Baroque Gilt Plaster Ceiling?

It is Almost Done, Dear Readers..... 
and even if some of you think it is Over Done...
I Know it is Not yet Done!
 The Dome.... Part Two...
More to come!

19 comments:

  1. The dome is absolutely perfect and would not be right without the "gilt". I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dome is looking fabulous. Look forward to seeing part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Betsy,
    One of my favourite books in the world is "Country Houses of Britain and Ireland". When i look at this room it looks like it could be featured in that book. It is so well done and I think the gilt plaster work is perfect and exactly what one would expect to find in one of the country houses. It is even more funt hat such a grand room should be in such a small space. It is incredibly elegant and still very warm and cozy. I could just imagine lying in bed and looking at the beautiful ceiling. Incredible work Betsy. I REALLY love it.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful, and I agree with those who have commented before me, that this tiny room is perfect with such a grand ceiling. I just want to shrink and sleep in here. I love every detail - the wonderful walls, the furniture and the ceiling. Judith x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just LOOOOOOOOOOOVE this room!!! I wish you could never end works there and always add something to it as everytime you change it, it's just looking better and better Betsy! GREAT ceiling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dreams never have an end. Gilt to your heart's desire! It looks fabulous!
    Best Wishes,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ceiling is very elegant and precious.
    Bye, Faby

    ReplyDelete
  8. To Gild or not to Gild... if all great questions had answers that simple: For sure and without doubt: Gild!!! I know I sound like a parrot, but you are amazing... all the effort you spend on details that are hardly visible is incredible - but it's totally worth it because the result is breathtkaking!

    Greetings
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  9. I add my voice to the chorus which, enthusiastically, says "Gild!" So beautiful. So enticing! Who wouldn't sleep well in such a bedroom?
    Lots of love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gild to your heart's content, Betsy! It looks so grandiose and it's so special because the room is so small. I have never known anyone like you, Betsy. You go to such length to accomplish what you set out to do. You undertake so many difficult projects, yet you always see them through. It is truly admirable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you know an adult wouldn't see it right away but an child who happened to walk by would notice it...it's like an easter egg surprise (Im a gamer too)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is beautiful and I really have no idea what you want to do more to it.... but I'm sure it will be also beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I think that this is absolute perfection! Such incredible detail, and to think, in such small scale!

    What is the name of the book with the real life houses?

    Cheers,
    Iris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iris, sorry I am so late to reply...
      The books is called "English Country House Interiors" by Jeremy Musson. It is a Lavish picture book!

      Delete
  14. Gilded ceiling is just about the absolute inevitable for this very special room. It's not true that we can't see, we can and we will always remember , dear Bets.

    I keep holding back the parcel to you because I can't stop thinking of this room. Not only you want to add, I want to add too because who wouldn't want to be a part of this fascinating journey you are bringing us on the way to the fruition of the most opulent mouse house ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My motto is: It's not done until it's OVERDONE! I LOOOVE it, Betsy! Very clever work with all the jewelry findings...truly inspired!

    XOXO,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  16. OVERDONE!!?? NO! NO! NO! Bring on the Gold and the Glitz and the Glamour! This room is GORGEOUS!!!! I love it! It's so totally over the top but it all works so well!!! I am pleased you followed your own instincts and went for what you truly wanted!!

    The whole bedroom is fabulous!!!

    Andy xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Betsy! You are truly astonishing in the projects that you set out to do and then accomplish so very well! To take on a challenge like the complexity of the ceiling and then to embellish it in the way that you have is truly the work of an artist and a lover of fine details that may not be entirely visible to the general population but satisfies the deepest part of your artistic soul! I take my hat off to you, Betsy!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete